Thursday, November 22, 2012

Lemon Rice

Though I am not much into rice, lately I have started liking this quick simple fix. Make it from scratch or use leftover rice, this is indeed delicious twist to regular 'Masala Rice'. I started making this kind of rice long ago just for a change from Masala Rice. Funny part is, then I did not know that it was called Lemon Rice. Then once I was talking to a South Indian friend enthusiastically about this new invention (!) and she did not react at all. Later I figured out it is quite common yet popular dish in South India.

The best thing I love about this dish is that it does not ask for any special ingredients or preparation other than soaking rice. After Dosa/Uttapam/Idli, now I have started liking this South Indian dish as well :). Ideally rice should be cooked first, but I like it better if it is cooked along with all other ingredients.

Serves 2-4
Preparation Time: 5 Minute
Cooking Time: 20 Minute

Ingredients
1 cup rice
2 tsp oil
1 dried red chili
1 tsp mustard seeds
Pinch of asafetida
12-15 curry leaves
1 tbsp cashew nuts
1 tbsp raw peanuts (I do not like, so I didn't use)
1 tsp chana dal
1 tsp udad dal
1-2 green chili, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp lemon juice or as per taste
Salt

For garnishing,
Coriander leaves
Grated coconut

Procedure
1. Soak rice for 1-2 hour and keep it aside
2. Heat oil in the pan, add red chili, when it pops, add mustard seeds and asafetida
3. Add curry leaves, chana dal and udad dal
4. When both dals turn light brown, add green chili, peanuts and cashew nuts
5. Add this mixture to soaked rice, add salt and turmeric powder
6. Cook rice covered with 2 cup of water on low flame
7. When rice is almost cooked, add lemon juice and mix well
8. Turn off the heat, garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves
8. Serve hot


No comments:

Post a Comment