Saturday, April 13, 2013

Veggie Stew with Beans

Being a stay-home mom, I face different dilemma on Sunday evenings. After spending Saturday and most of the Sunday on cooking, cleaning, grocery, outing and entertaining guests, I want my weekend to end in a healthy and tasty way. But neither I want to go out nor use leftovers or frozen food. And cooking a complete menu is entirely out of question. So I always look for simple options like Bhel, Fada Khichdi etc. These dishes are filling and serve as a complete meal i.e they have got veggies, protein and carbs. 

On a cold and dreary Sunday evening, this steaming hot stew is to die for. Whenever we hear about Stew, we think about beef in background of vegetables. But as I do not eat beef, I do not want to be left out. So I have created my own version of stew where I have used tomato and broccoli puree in background.   Have it all by itself or pair it with your favorite bread, this cheesy-chunky stew is definitely a great addition to your list. When I am in a mood of extensive cooking, I make this stew with Dhebra/Thepla or Paratha.


Serves 4
Preparation Time: 30 Minute + soaking time
Cooking Time: 45 Minute

Ingredients
1 cup veggies of your choice, finely diced (I used onion, zucchini, green and orange Peppers, carrot, corn, scallion)
1/2 cup rajma/ beans
1/4 cup small pasta
4 medium tomatoes
2-3 florets of broccoli
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp butter
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
Parsley and fresh cream for garnishing (optional)

Procedure
1. Soak rajma for 6-8 hours and pressure cook them
2. Pressure cook/ boil tomato and broccoli. Pulse them into puree (You can strain them if you want)
3. Heat oil in a pan, add garlic and saute it for 2-3 minute
4. Add veggies, add salt and cook them covered stirring occasionally


5. When they are half cooked, add tomato puree, beans and pasta. Add water as required


6. Cook it uncovered till pasta are tender
7. Add butter and turn off the heat
8. Add cream, cheese and garnish with parsley




No comments:

Post a Comment