Monday, January 27, 2014

Pizza Crostini

The winter being so brutal this year; it feels good to just step out for grocery after few days of confinement at home. The other day we were enjoying such 'Family Outing' at nearby supermarket and I was browsing their bakery section. And I could not stop myself from buying fresh loaf of Italian Bread coming right out of the oven. I was not sure then what to make out of it but I knew I would be experimenting with it for Friday dinner.

These little bites are topped with pizza style toppings, pesto sauce and cheese. Though they are perfect as an appetizer, we could use them as meal as well. I use lot of veggies and omitted cheese for healthier version :).


Make 16 slices
Preparation Time: 20 Minute (Provided Pizza Sauce is ready)
Cooking Time: 20 Minute

Ingredients
Loaf of Italian Bread or Baguette
1 small onion, finely diced
2 cup of veggies, finely diced (I used mixed peppers, corn and zucchini)
1/4 tsp garlic, minced
2 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
2-3 tbsp pizza sauce
2 tbsp basil pesto
10-12 pc olives
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese (Optional)
Butter 
Salt and pepper

Procedure
1. Heat olive oil and add garlic and onion
2. Once onions turn translucent, add veggies
3. Add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning and cook them uncovered on medium-high flame till veggies become charred
4. Turn off the heat and add pizza sauce and olive rings


5. Slice the loaf, apply butter on both sides and cook it on grill


6. Top each slice with pesto, veggie stuffing and cheese



No comments:

Post a Comment