Thursday, November 4, 2010

ચકરી

Here I am with another typical Gujarati snacks - ચકરી. It comes with several variations, but we just love the simplest version, the one made with whole wheat flour. When I was teenager, mom used to teach me how to make ચકરી using machine. With practice, I could use machine efficiently though I had never tried to make the dough. During this Diwali, I asked HIM what should I make in snacks category and he told me to make just this one item! And when you have please someone by just one dish, you have to be careful ;)

Make 50-60 small pieces
Preparation Time: 30 Minute
Cooking Time: 1 hour

Ingredients
2.5 cup whole wheat chapatti flour
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp ajwain
1 tsp fennel seeds
Salt per taste
Oil for frying

Procedure
1. Wrap flour in cloth and pressure cook it for about 12-15 minute (4 whistles)
2. Coarsely crush ajwain and fennel seeds
3. Once pressure cooker cools down, take the flour out and mash it so it does not have any lumps
4. Add all dry spices and make soft dough
5. Put the dough in machine and make ચકરી preferably on damp cloth. If it breaks, add little water to dough
6. Deep fry immediately them until golden brown

P.S. Dough can also be made using sour cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment