Wednesday, November 17, 2010

મકાઇનો દાણો/ Corn Curry Cooked in Milk

Here I am with another all time favorite dish- મકાઇનો દાણો. I do not know what it is called in English. I googled it and found somewhat similar recipe with coconut milk under Thai Cuisine. I have very fond memories about this dish too. My dad’s friend used to own a corn farm in a village, so every monsoon (around July-August) we would plan a trip there. They would pick fresh corn and make this delicious dish. Generally people have it with roti but I love it so much that I can have it all by itself. My mom makes even a nicer version by adding lot of dry fruits. Ideally, it should be made using fresh corn, but here fresh sweet corn is very tender, so I use frozen whole corn kernels instead.

Serves 2-3
Preparation Time: 20 Minute
Cooking Time: 40 Minute

Ingredients
4 cup whole corn kernels
3 tbsp ghee (sometimes, I use half ghee + half oil)
2 pc cloves
¼ inch cinnamon stick
½ tsp mustard seeds
Pinch of asafetida
8-10 pc curry leaves
8-10 pc raisins
8-10 pc cashew nuts, roughly chopped
1 tbsp chopped green chili
2 cup whole milk
Salt and lemon juice per taste
Coriander leaves for garnishing

Procedure
1. Chop whole corn using hand chopper, keep them aside
2. Heat ghee in thick bottom pan, add cloves, cinnamon stick, mustard seeds, asafetida, curry leaves, raisin and cashew nuts
3. When cashew nuts become light brown, add chopped corn, green chili and salt
4. Continuously stir this mixture, so it does not stick to bottom of the pan
5. When mixture becomes dry and starts leaving ghee on edges, add milk
6. Stir it until milk is thoroughly absorbed
7. Add lemon juice, turn off the heat, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot

This dish can be refrigerated for at least 4-5 days. I also use leftover to stuff sandwich and then grill it.


No comments:

Post a Comment