Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Guacamole

The other day when I was making Burritos/Mexican Pizza, I realized that I did not have Guacamole. But I did have avocado. We both love guacamole very much, not only with Mexican food but also with chips and crackers. It's a traditional Mexican Dip where ripe avocado is mashed using mortal and pestle along with onion, tomato and garlic. I neither had patience nor time to follow an authentic recipe, so I used food processor instead.  And I am really happy since now I do not have to be dependent on store bought guacamole.

Yields 2 cup
Preparation Time: 15 Minute
Cooking Time: NIL

Ingredients
2 ripe avocados
1/2 onion
1 tomato
Juice of 1-2 lime, as per taste
1/2 tsp cumin powder
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper **
2 tbsp coriander leaves
Salt

** Can be substituted with red chili powder

Procedure
1. Scoop and dice avocados. Add salt, cayenne pepper, cumin powder and lime juice and keep it aside (retain the juice and use it later to grind)
2. Dice tomato and onion
3. Mix all ingredients and grind into a smooth paste

This homemade guacamole can be refrigerated for a week or so.

2 comments: