Though I have never been a big fan of pizza, I am always up for 'CPK Tostada'. For last five years, we both have become addicted to CPK Tostada. We go there often and order this same dish without even looking at the menu. It is so yummy that so far I have never paid close attention to its ingredients. The only thing that got registered about this dish was that it was Mexican version of Pizza.
Generally, I avoid outside food as much as possible. So during my last visit, I had a close look and was thrilled to figure out how simple it was to try at home. Almost all ingredients are handy and with store bought pizza crust, it's a job of minutes!
Mine was extensively home made as I used Rajma in place of canned beans. Even I made salsa and chips at home. Preparation Time and Cooking Time shown below do not include time to prepare chips and salsa.
Makes 6 medium pizza
Preparation Time: 20 Minute + soaking time for beans *
Cooking Time: 45 Minute
* Can be replaced with canned re-fried beans.
1 cup kidney beans
1 tsp taco seasoning
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 clove of garlic, minced
6 pc pizza crust
Sour cream per taste
2 cup cold salsa **
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 cup diced tomato
3/4 cup Mexican blend cheese
Tortilla chips ***
** Do not boil tomato and do not add corn kernels
*** Use ready chips or fried/baked tortilla. I had neither of them so I mixed equal quantity of plain flour and corn flour, added salt and enough oil to sieve the flour. Rolled into thin strips, deep fried them and sprinkled with taco seasoning.
1. Soak beans for 6-8 hours and pressure cook them with salt
2. Heat olive oil, add minced garlic, cumin seeds, taco seasoning and cooked beans
3. Lightly mash beans with fork or potato masher, add little water if required
4. Brush pizza crust with olive oil and bake at 350 F for 5-7 minute until it turns light brown and crispy
5. Spread sour cream, salsa and beans mixture. Top it with cheese and bake again until cheese is melted
6. Add toppings of lettuce, tomato and tortilla chips
7. Serve hot with salsa and/or sour cream