Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kesar-Pista Kulfi

Finally I am back to my blog after indeed a long pause. Little over 3 months of vacation in India has made me a bit lazy as far as blogging goes. In fact, not only blogging, but luxurious treatment on dining table twice a day by mom has made me lazy cook too :) Either I am too tired to cook something new or too bored to plate and take a picture. But finally I made something that was motivational enough to compel me write. 

As a part of birthday celebration of two most important men in life - my brother and husband, I decided to make Kulfi at home. And circumstances could not be better. 'Coming soon' expiry dates on packets of milk powder and condensed milk were forcing me to use them :D 

I was prepared for flop-show but final dish came out just perfect! I am happy that now I have another quick fix in dessert category.

Makes 8 Kulfis
Preparation Time: 5 Minute 
Cooking Time: 45 Minute + cooling & freezing time 

Ingredients 
1 14 oz can of condensed milk (About 2 cup) 
5 cup whole mile 
1/2 cup milk powder 
1/2 tsp cardamom powder 
10-12 strands of saffron 
1/2 cup sliced pistachio 

Procedure 
1. Mix condensed milk, milk powder and milk 
2. Heat this mixture on low-medium flame in a thick-bottom pan 
3. Soak saffron in 1tsp warm milk 
4. Bring mixture to boil until it thickens, stirring continuously (It took about 40 minute) 
5. Turn off the heat and add saffron, pistachio and cardamom powder 
6. Let it cool down completely, fill kulfi molds and freeze until it become solid (For at least 4-6 hour) 


P.S. - I did not have kulfi molds so instead I used paper cups and surprising it became very easy to unmold using paring knife. Also, next time I am planning to use 4 cup milk + 1 cup heavy cream for rich and creamy texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment