Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Mixed Dal Khichdi

I am back…after a long time. When I started this blog, I meant to write only special recipes. So I had never thought that I would end up writing this one. But here I am and I am sure it’s worth putting here :)
We both love khichdi and I always try to bring some variations to this simple recipe. I have tried different veggies and dry fruits, but never played with basic ingredients – Dal and Rice. This little twist turned out simply delicious that why it's here :D

Serves 2-4
Preparation Time: 10 Minute
Cooking Time: 20 Minute

Ingredients
1 cup rice
1/3 cup moong dal (I used combination of yellow moong dal and green split dal)
1/3 cup toor dal
1/3 cup chana dal
1 cup potato cut in small pieces
1 cup onions, sliced
½ cup green peas
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chili powder
Salt

For Tempering,
1 tsp oil
2 pc cloves
¼ inch cinnamon stick
10-12 pc curry leaves
1 tsp mustard seeds
Pinch of asafetida

Procedure
1. Dry roast all dals for about 5-7 minute
2. Mix dal and rice and soak them for about 2 hours
3. Heat oil in skillet, add clove, cinnamon, mustard seeds, hing and curry leaves
4. Add onions, stir continuously till they are translucent
5. Add potatoes and peas, stir for another 3-4 minute
6. Add veggies mixture to soaked dal-rice
7. Add 5 cup water and cook khichdi (I pressure cooked it, but if you cook outside it tastes far better)

No comments:

Post a Comment