Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Tomato Salsa

So far whenever I have made tomato based salsa, I have mixed finely chopped tomatoes, onions and jalapeños. This works absolutely fine with chips or as a side with Mexican food, but not when you want to use with burritos. Recently when I was making burritos I realized that I had run out of store bought salsa and had to come up with this last minute fix. I am quite happy with it and at least for burritos, I do not have to rely on ready made salsa.

Yields about 1.5 cup
Preparation Time: 5 Minute
Cooking Time: 20 Minute + refrigeration time

Ingredients
4 medium tomatoes
½ onion
1 jalapeno
2 cloves of garlic
1 tsp coriander leaves
Salt

Procedure
1. Peel garlic, stem off jalapeno and arrange garlic, tomatoes (without cutting/peeling) and jalapeño in a baking tray at 350 F
2. Flip the sides frequently and when skin becomes charred , take them out (Garlic, tomatoes and jalapeno will get cooked in this order, altogether takes 15-20 minute)
3. Once they are out of oven, keep them covered using aluminum foil until they cool down completely and then grind into a smooth paste (Retain tomato skin and do not add water)
4. Finely chop onions and add to tomato mixture
5. Add salt and coriander leaves and mix well
6. Serve cold

No comments:

Post a Comment