Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Veggie Bean Burritos

It has been quite some time since I have had homemade Mexican food. Being vegetarian, I have to play with just beans and veggies. Though my favorite picks are Crunchy Tacos and Mexican Pizza, I make Enchiladas and Burritos also quite often. Then recently when I was making Burritos I realized that I did not know exact difference between Enchiladas and Burritos except the way they are rolled and use of enchilada sauce.

So I looked for more information online and found out that enchiladas are authentic Mexican food while burritos are more like a fusion Tex-Mex food. Burritos require plain flour tortillas as opposed corn flour ones in enchilada. Enchiladas are baked with generous amount of sauce and cheese. While burritos are made using veggies and sometimes rice along with beans and salsa. They are not baked usually and served with sour cream. Anyway, enough of theory and here is the recipe of my favorite veggie bean burritos :)

Makes 8 Burritos
Preparation Time: 10 Minute + soaking time for beans
Cooking Time: 20 Minute

Ingredients
1 cup Rajma/black kidney beans
½ cup sliced onions
½ cup red/green pepper
½ cup corn
Medium avocado cut into small pieces
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 medium tomato, cut into small pieces
2 tsp Taco seasoning
1 tsp olive oil
½ tsp cumin seeds
2 tbsp + 1 cup salsa **
8 flour tortilla
Salt
½ cup Mexican blend cheese
Sour cream to serve burrito
** You can use any store bought/homemade tomato based salsa. This is optional, but without salsa I find burritos little on drier side

Procedure
1. Soak kidney beans for 6-8 hours and pressure cook them
2. Heat oil in skillet, add cumin seeds and onions and garlic
3. When onions turn translucent add corn, pepper and beans
4. Add salt, taco seasoning and salsa and mix well
5. Add tomatoes and turn off the heat
6. Now take a tortilla, spread this beans-veggies mixture and cheese
7. Roll tortilla into burrito and put directly on grill at 350F for 5-7 minute (This is optional, but I find them better this way)
8. Serve hot with salsa and sour cream

These burritos are very filling and make a complete meal. And to my surprise, they stay good and do not become soggy even after 3-4 hours. Which is just perfect for picnics and potlucks, even better!



No comments:

Post a Comment