Sunday, May 17, 2015

Kulcha

These days I stock up my freezer with frozen roti and paratha. Don't know when I would need to use this treasure with two kids running around! Usually, I dig into it during weekend when we have lazy start of the day and I also have plans to cook elaborated curries. But once in a while, when I am in 'Good Food Mood', I go an extra mile to make them from scratch.

Today was my first attempt to make kulcha. This soft and butter loaded delicacy from Punjab region of India goes best with Chhole.  But we like them with any North Indian Curry. They are usually stuffed with potatoes/paneer/onions. But this being my first attempt,  I decided to play safe.

Final outcome was short of my expectations,  but definitely way better than frozen ones. I replaced half quantity of plain flour with whole wheat flour and I baked them. So here is my version of healthy kulcha.


Makes 6 kulcha
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup plain flour
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup yogurt
1 tsp kalonji
1 tsp red pepper flakes
1 tbsp coriander leaves
Salt
Butter (I prefer Amul)

Procedure
1. Mix flour, salt, sugar,  baking powder,  oil and yogurt.  Knead soft dough using warm water
2. Let it rest for at least couple of hours
3. Knead again with little oil and divide into 6 equal portion
4. Gently roll it using your fingers
5. Apply kalonji, red pepper flakes and coriander leaves


6. Now roll it again using rolling pin. It should be little thicker than paratha
7. Pre heat oven at 350 F and bake kulcha till they puff up and turn into light brown color


8. Apply butter and serve hot


No comments:

Post a Comment