Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Moong Dal

I had never imaged that I would end up posting this recipe on my blog (Hence I do not have photo either). First reason is, I started this blog with intention to note down my experiments, at least I would not write common dish which we have in our everyday food. Secondly, I did not like this dish at all. It’s a very good example that using more or less same ingredients, how totally different varieties can be created. As much as I love મગની છૂટી દાળ (where moong dal is cooked directly on low flame, with minimal water hence final dish is dry and each grain is perfectly cooked and separated, hence the name છૂટી દાળ. Generally eaten with કઢી/ભાત/શાક/રોટલી), I hate the regular મગની દાળ (Dal is boiled, generally in pressure cooker with generous amount of water. It has liquid texture and generally eaten with ભાખરી/શાક/ભાત). This is my dad’s favorite dish and my mom would usually make it when I am fasting or eating outside.

But after getting married, I did not get much of a choice since this happens to be HIS favorite dish as well. Usually, I avoid making it, but once in a while, I give in to his requests. Recently when I made it, to my surprise I fell in love with it!! Now I am thinking to make it often with exact amount of ingredients and hence noting down the recipe :)

This is also very a good dish to be served when someone is sick. Avoid using ginger-chili-garlic and pepper if it is served to a sick person. It's full of protein, but still easy to digest. I have seen people in North India make it using Ghee, but I am sticking to oil only due to my love for ghee! ;)

Serves 2
Preparation Time: 20 Minute + soaking time
Cooking Time: 20 Minute

Ingredients
½ cup moong dal
1 tsp oil
¼ tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
Pinch of asafetida
5-6 pc whole black pepper
2 cloves of garlic, minced
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp chili
¼ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp red chili powder
½ tsp dhaniya powder
½ tsp shredded jaggery
¼ tsp aamchur powder
¼ tsp garam masala
Salt
Coriander leaves for garnishing

Procedure
1. Soak dal for couple of hours in warm water and pressure cook it
2. Heat oil in a pan. Add pepper, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and asafetida
3. Add garlic, chili and ginger paste and stir it for a while
4. Now pour dal into the pan and add remaining spices
5. Add water as required and bring it to boil. Stir in between
6. Turn off the heat, garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot

PS. This dal tends to thicken as it starts cooling down. So add sufficient water in the beginning.

No comments:

Post a Comment