Monday, February 14, 2011

Spinach Rice/ Palak Pulao

Long back I used spinach as a main ingredient in Pulao. That time I just wanted to use leftover spinach in some experimental way. Pulao came out good, more than taste I fell in love with lush green texture. I suddenly remembered this dish and thought to make it again. This time I searched for recipe online. I did find a few but all of them were saying to use chopped spinach. I did not find this method very appealing since chopped spinach will not change color of rice grain and also it will not be evenly distributed. Instead I decided to use spinach in a puree form. And here I am with another delicious pulao recipe.

Serves 2-4
Preparation Time: 10 Minute + soaking time
Cooking Time: 45 Minute

Ingredients
1.5 cup rice
Couple of handfuls of spinach
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup sliced onions
2 pc of clove
1” cinnamon stick
6-8 pc whole pepper
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp oil
¼ cup cheddar cheese (Optional)
Salt

Procedure
1. Soak rice for 1-2 hrs and cook it covered on low flame with salt and 1.5 cup of water
2. Boil the spinach, once cool down grind into a thick puree
3. Heat oil in a skillet. Add clove, cinnamon, pepper and cumin seeds
4. Add onions, when turn golden brown add spinach puree, corn, salt and lemon juice
5. Stir it for a while and turn off the heat
6. Now in a large oven safe bowl, mix rice and spinach mixture
7. Cover this bowl with aluminum foil and put it in oven for 25-25 minute at 350 F
8. Sprinkle cheese as soon as you take it out from oven and serve hot


No comments:

Post a Comment