Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Garlic Bread

I had garlic breads/ bread sticks first time at Pizza Hut in my college days. But I became a real fan during my stay in Mumbai. We would frequently order lunch from Domino’s and I would be more interested in bread sticks than pizza! Here, I have tried frozen ones. They are fine once in a while when you want them at the eleventh hour, but if it is planned dish, I would always prefer making them home.

Italian or Baguette type of bread loaf can be used to make Garlic Bread. Ideally, bread should be sliced towards bottom, but still kept in one piece. Then olive oil/butter/garlic should be spread between the slice and whole bread should be baked. Once thoroughly baked inside and crispy outside, it should be cut into slices. This method keeps the bread crispy yet soft and moist at the same time. Another approach is to cut bread into slices first. Top individual slice with butter/oil/garlic and then bake them. This is simpler, easier and faster. As I need my bread real crispy, I go for this second approach.

Makes 12 garlic breads
Preparation Time: 10 Minute
Cooking Time: 20 Minute

Ingredients
1 LB Italian bread loaf
4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp olive oil
½ tsp red chili flakes **
½ tsp basil leaves **
½ cup parmesan cheese (Optional)
Salt and pepper
** basil and chili flakes can also be replaced by fresh parsley

Procedure
1. Cut bread loaf into ½” thick slices
2. Heat butter and olive oil in a skillet on low flame and add minced garlic
3. Stir in between, garlic should be cooked and not burnt
4. Add salt and pepper and turn off the heat when garlic turns light pink
5. Apply this mixture generously on both sides of the slice. Sprinkle them with basil, red pepper and cheese
6. Bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes on either sides o until cheese is melted and bread is crispy


No comments:

Post a Comment