Friday, August 13, 2010

Vermicelli Kheer

We both love milk-based desserts with Indian touch. When I was talking to my mom, she reminded me about the last day of અષાઢ, which is called દિવાસો and we make kheer-puri this day. I was thinking to make kheer with rice but HE demanded kheer with vermicelli. I did not make this for long time and I wanted to measure everything to make it perfect.

Serves 3-4
Preparation time: NIL
Cooking time: 45 Minute

Ingredients
4 cups whole milk
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup vermicelli, cut into 1” pieces
½ tsp cardamom powder
10-15 pieces sliced almond
10-15 pieces sliced pistachio
3-4 strands of saffron

Procedure
1. Dry roast vermicelli on low flame for about 5-7 minutes until they turn pink/light brown. Keep it aside
2. Heat milk in thick bottom pan, add vermicelli
3. Stir continuously so it does not stick on bottom
4. When vermicelli is cooked, it’ll start floating on surface, now is the time to add sugar
5. Simmer for 5 minutes and turn off the heat
6. Garnish with cardamom, almonds, pistachio and saffron
7. Serve cold/warm


No comments:

Post a Comment